Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Festive and Tasty

I accidentally made a super cute appetizer for a party on Sunday. 

I've had a recipe for a blue cheese tart floating around for ever and I wanted to give it a shot.  I found some great Valdeon cheese (from Spain, usually made from a mixture of cow, goat, and sheep's milk) and went from there.  The recipe is basically a savory cheesecake; a cream cheese/blue cheese custard brightened up with some minced shallot, thyme, and parsley.  I chose to set this over a standard tart dough, but next time I think I would do a nut crumb crust, perhaps with a little prosciutto ground into the crumbs. 

While the tart was in the oven, I made a quick red onion jam with red wine, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.  I also picked up some baby arugula (was hoping for watercress) and searched through for a few perfect leaf tips.
The super cute part came when I went to assemble the appetizers...  I stamped out little circles, placed an arugula leaf, and the moment I set a dab of jam on top it just looked like Christmas!  Holly leaves and berries totally by chance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment